Whilst watching a TV program the other day about a family living in Africa, I was tempted to automatically put on my cynical and Western eyes onto the poverty and lack of anything that they seemed to have.
Food was scarce, water was precious and had to be fetched in a container daily from over 2 km’s away. “Shame..” I thought. But I did notice one thing that kept me thinking about who has the issue…
They were happy!
With little in their lives – they spoke, shared, danced and sang. A chocolate bar was savoured and enjoyed for a few days, cleaning was easy, beds folded away and community was embedded throughout.
With this is mind – I took a look around my ‘stuff’ – so much that I take for granted and don’t necessarily enjoy with presence.
So I started a journey with a goal to declutter – not just in possessions, but in thinking, health and spirit.
A program began to help detoxify / de-clutter and add simplicity and joy to area’s of life – after all, isn’t life meant to be easy?
Detox your Mind:
- Clear the doing clutter from your life, get organised – physically and mentally.
- Get rid of bad habits, stop heavy thinking, have good thoughts and be clear
- Be truthful to yourself and find clarity
Detox your Body:
- Clear the eating clutter from your life, get organised – physically and mentally.
- Get rid of bad habits, stop heavy eating/drinking, have good nourishment and be clear about the body you want
- Be truthful to yourself and find Health
Detox your Spirit:
- Clear the clutter from your life, get purposeful and connected.
- Get rid of bad habits, stop feeling down or disconnected, instead get connected, rested and be clear about who you really are.
- Be truthful to yourself and find Purpose
The overriding factor that stops people, my clients and me (initially) from decluttering is that it seems so daunting – this massive task ahead of clearing…
The key is simple.
- Clean up your desk.
- Make a list.
- Tick one thing off.
The next day do another one – or even the next hour or week – but do it, over and over again – very soon the momentum builds and the ticks overshadow the non-ticked.